Baxi Solo 2 PF PCB Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have a Baxi Solo 2 boiler that keeps trying to fire up and then stops and this cycles for about 10 times then the boiler fires. Read on the web that this is usually a dry joint issue on the PCB. I'm happy to resolder the board but wondered if it's easy to remove the PCB.

All tips gratefully received!

Happy New Year

Roger

Sponsored Links
If you dont know how to remove the PCB then I dont think you should be thinking of repairing it yourself.

Since the PCB controls the gas valve operation it has safety implications.

Did you plan to use lead or tin solder?

Tony

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

The reason I don't know how to was I have not looked yet hence my question.

Solder wise I was going to use whatever we have at work, I will ask one of my guys what we use.

What are the safety implications if the dry joints are just resoldered?

Roger

There are probably no significant safety inplications in resoldering dry joints.

However, professional boiler engineers are not permitted to do that because the resulting repaired PCB is not an approved manufacturers part as tested and supplied by them.

The GSUR state that only manufacturer's approved parts can be used to repair boilers.

A DIYer can resolder if he wishes in his own property as long as nothing goes wrong as then he could be deemed not competent and his house insurance could be invalidated and he could be prosecuted for endangering life or manslaughter.

I think you should look at the PCB before asking how to remove it! If you are safe to do anything to it then you need to be able to work out how to remove it.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I have not yet even taken the front panel off of the boiler hence my question. If you feel that I am overstepping the mark of being competent then fine. If I feel that I am putting my familt at risk then I will be the first to call an engineer in to do the job.

You may think I am a complete numpty but I have worked in telecoms for the last 25 years in technical capacities and although this does not make me qualified as a gas engineer I do know which end of a screwdriver to use.

I came here for advice, maybe I came to the wrong place?

Whether you can fix the pcb is up to you, I certainly couldn't :oops:

It is a simple affair to remove the pcb, if I remember correctly it pulls forward in its 'drawer'.

Make a careful note of what terminals go where though.

I came here for advice, maybe I came to the wrong place?

like anyone you won't know if you can do till you try.
some are very helpful some just waste your time, no harm in you trying as your not doing anything wrong in trying.

I have not yet even taken the front panel off of the boiler hence my question. If you feel that I am overstepping the mark of being competent then fine. If I feel that I am putting my familt at risk then I will be the first to call an engineer in to do the job.

You may think I am a complete numpty but I have worked in telecoms for the last 25 years in technical capacities and although this does not make me qualified as a gas engineer I do know which end of a screwdriver to use.

I cannot judge your competence!

Its certainly a pretty simple job to do and any reticence on my part is that you felt it necessary to ask about removing the PCB.

Tony

I cannot judge your competence!

Its certainly a pretty simple job to do and any reticence on my part is that you felt it necessary to ask about removing the PCB.

Tony

Well, I thought it was a sensible thing to ask not having done so before. If I had asked and someone responded that it is a really difficult job and requires special tools then I would have got an engineer to carry out the work, fools rush in where angels fear to tread!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back