Baxi Solo 2 - Pilot switching off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi Solo 2 boiler, model 50 RS. The problem I'm having is the pilot light switching off. I've tried to narrow the problem down, and made the following observations.

If I light the pilot, and the system doesn't demand any heat, then the pilot stays lit indefinitely (over 12 hours anyway).

If the system demands heat and the main burner ignites, and I then interrupt the cycle after just a few seconds (by turning the main control knob on the boiler to '0'), then the pilot remains lit after the main burner turns off. I tried this for 10 short cycles and the pilot remained lit throughout.

However, if I leave the boiler to run through it's complete heat cycle, when the main burner turns off the pilot remains lit for about 1 second, and then there is a click and the pilot turns off. This doesn't happen every time, but most times anyway.

When lit, the pilot flame looks good, and fully envelops the thermocouple.

There ends my knowledge!

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance.

Russ.

Sponsored Links
That boiler has overheat protection which interrupts the thermocouple. Although it may not be tripping, those devices can develop a high resistance and cause pilot failure. Needs pro attention to fix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back