Bernzomatic load of absolute rubbish!

Might have to try the Monument, it looks good but is rather notey at £70+ and it only takes gasex or whatever it is, but I think I've seen adapters that make standard bottles fit.

Sponsored Links
Don't like them, my mate has one and I used it once. Couldn't get on with it.

I prefer a separate propane cylinder (orange) and a blowtorch on the end of a hose. Far superior to the little piddling things. Heat the whole fitting at once quickly and smoothly. Great for chasing out residual moisture too. And for paint stripping, killing weeds etc. Can be fitted with various size burners too from wide to pencil.

Sponsored Links
Yeah I use a seperate bottle and hose/nozzle for when I'm soldering up 35mm - 67mm. Its just too bulky for bumping about from the van into someones home though for domestic work imho.

:cry:Basically you get what you pay for most of the time, as a fitter of 30 years i started with the old bullfinch flame throwers and my father had and i still keep the origional parrafin sieverts, the bernzo is a bit of a toy and has a small nozzle, most pro s use a rothenberger(sieg hiel) superfire 2 in the right mitts these perform very well for all but fittings above 54 mil.chuck the acid flux,clean it and use a mild one, possibly frys or templers telux.be careful of mappgas, it can heat to quick and cause burnt hotspots,good soldering is a technique like making love.if i could make a video and post it i would.soldering that is.i happen to teach plumbing at colleges,will try it if anyone is interested or can help.

I was doing a bathroom install at the weekend and after several attempts to solder a few elbows i gave up. Luckly the homeowner said there was some old tools in his shed which the previoous owner had left, including a prehistoric blow torch. Managed to find it, connected to gas can and it worked a treat! It must have been at least 20 years old, yet worked a million times better then the latest modern blow torch.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

And that advice goes to homeowners too, who look to have bathrooms 'put-in' by 'installers' who use £25 Blowlamps.....

Rant over.

DH

I've been using a Bernzomatic TS7000 for about two years, no complaints at all, it seems to basically be a rebadged Roth Superfire 2
Understood it was the other way round. The Rotheberg was a rebadged Bernzomatic!

Spare parts try tradecounterdirect.com

i happen to teach plumbing at colleges

I hope when you're teaching you pay more attention than you have on here, this topic is four months old....
i dont see the relevance of the remark muggles.i joined this site to help some others get it right first time,i am well aware of the time scale, but anyone searching this subject will be led to sites like this,try looking up a subject called history, i found it because i have warranty issues with bernz and am collating info.i hope this explains the situation.jon.

Apologies for bumping this old thread, but this is the only place where I've read you can get different burners for the Rothenberger Super-Fire 2.
The 3.5661 and 3.5662
https://www.amazon.ca/Rothenberger-35661-Burner-Standard-SUPER/dp/B002JAWQ0G
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rothenber...019245?hash=item210dd58aad:g:kSYAAOSw1DtXF8Nc

Can anyone tell me if the Super-fire 2 is a rebadged Bernzomatic TS7000 or a TS8000. Or are they basically the same aside from the jet and the burner tip?
The way I see it now, is that the super fire 2 is a TS8000, with the wider tip, but you can turn it into a 7000 with http://www.tradecounterdirect.com/p...othenberger-swirl-flame-burner-jet_swirl.html
as ChrisR and mickyg seem to have done. Is this true? Anyone with firsthand experience?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back