Bespoke shower enclosures for steam room (active clean glass?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. Can anyone please advise whether the coating applied to glass to keep the glass smear free of water marks, is a permanent coating ingrained into the class or a coating that needs to be applied every so often? Some companies call this "active clean" glass whilst others call this "clear shield" and supply a can?

2. For a bespoke enclosure that only consists of two sides, say 1500mm by 2.3m high (and needs to include a glass hinged door) and another panel of size 1300mm by 2.3m, including fitting, how much should I budget for this, assuming 10mm toughened glass.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hello,
it is a permanent coating ingrained onto the glass.
The coating helps to keep the glass free of encrustation (not water marks) to clean more easily (for desperate housewife )
1f609.png

Hi

Encrustation of what though? Is it normal to have this on shower screens? Why would they mention a coating to me that gets applied?

This reminds me a bit of that liquid, Rain X which they sell for car windows.

Limestone I mean.
Yes, it's similar to rain x effect, but it is permanent.
The rough surface of the glass is filled with this coating.

Sponsored Links
DO NOT use cleaners on Active glass!!! you will damage it . Only certain cleaners are approved for use by the manufacturers of the Activ glass coatings

But active cleaning glass works best when bright sunlight can help break down the dirt right? So for roof lanterns and flat roof lights, it might work best. For shower screens, maybe another story because the level of light will be lower?

It's not even meant to be handled with your bare hands, my supplier covers the outer pane with a protective film to be removed once unit is fitted, only approved glass cleaners can be used also

Strangely though pilkington technical told me once that active works best between 15° to 45° and isn't suited to vertical applications yet now various websites contradict this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back