Bespoke Sofa Bed/Mini Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've been looking for a replacement to our faded sofa bed to go into the extension, not being able to find anything we really liked we sought some inspiration.

We stumbled across by this sofa......

But not wanting some GRP moulded things that would fall apart on us we purchased this....

Yes, a real, metal, front end from a pre 70's Mini.

We are going to weld the panels together, as they would be on a car & then split the two halves & make a frame to attach the existing sofa bed mechanism into, therefore reusing the workings of the old one.

I've found a retro-tastic set of wheels to go into the front arches that need a good clean up.....

The headlights will function & when fitted will be operated by a pair of the original style rocker switches, so you can have bedside lights, side light & dip bean only, main beam will probably be overkill.

Also popping on some Group 5 arches to cover those 10" wheels.

Finally, the indicators will be operational, as hazards, just for a laugh.

Sponsored Links
Definately need pics once finished! (and at each stage please!)
How long are you figuring it will take? Also what colour are you thinking of for the bodywork and upholstery?

Definately need pics once finished! (and at each stage please!)
How long are you figuring it will take? Also what colour are you thinking of for the bodywork and upholstery?

I have no idea. It'll be fitted into what little spare time I have in the evenings after finishing designing/building the silly rocket car.....

Sponsored Links
Had a fanny about taking some measurements to make sure the folding mechanism we have will fit.

This frame will form the attachment points for the mechanism & effectively the 'keep out' zone which has to be kept clear to ensure unobstructed operation of the mechanism.

Had a think about wheels & moved the slotmags on for a small profit.

Have decided on these that I have bought on EBAY & just had them delivered.

T2eC16RHJGUFFh0rrkB7BSHLEfp6g60_12_zpsb7ab0438.jpg

T2eC16JHJGUFFh-f2k6BSHLEpz760_12_zpse31c5f28.jpg

Tig tacking the frame together this evening for a trial fit of the folding arrangement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back