Best gun grade expanding foam for thermal use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm going to be using some gun grade expanding foam to fill gaps between pir insulation. Is there much thermal difference between the cheaper £3/£4 cans of expanding foam vs the more expensive ones. If so what would you recommend? Looking for the best thermal performance.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
TBH, the thicknesses you're going to be applying this stuff with, it won't make a jot of difference overall.. it's not like it's going to be sprayed on the underside of a roof as the thermal envelope of the house. A 5mm fillet of it gluing a sheet of celotex between your rafters isn't going to double your heating bills if you use the ever build vs the soudal. I doubt you'll beat .03 for this foam (it's PUR but not the same structure as kingspan etc and not made in the same controlled conditions)

One thing to note, these lambdas will have been measured in lab conditions on perfectly expanded foam, if it was even tested rather than assumed. You won't get that on a cold site, from a knackered gun and an over enthusiastic application between two nonporous surfaces (for example)

In terms of cost, cheapest source of soudal for me has been a seller called platinum-supplies on ebay.. about 3 quid a can if you buy lots (they have a listing for 12 where the post is separate, so you can get multi boxes of 12 for reduced postage), and that's inc vat. You might be able to contact them direct and get a few percent more knocked off if they don't have to pay ebay and PayPal fees. eBay for "soudal foam 12". I note now that someone else is doing a box of 12 a couple of quid cheaper. If you're newbuilding and making a vat reclaim, be sure to check the eBay co you buy from is vat reg.. sometimes eBay sellers look cheaper until you realise they aren't vat reg and the more expensive guy will be cheaper post rclaim

Last edited:
I normally spend longer ****ing around getting my gun to work than spraying it.

Acetone in a gun compatible can is only a couple of quid.. might be worth leaving one attached to your gun. Other tips.. be sure to screw the "amount of foam" knob all the way closed when storing the gun, as they can leak a micro amount if not screwed shut.. this eventually causes the gun to gum up inside.. the other thing that may mean your gun isn't dispensing properly is an accumulation of hard foam on the nozzle meaning it's effectively glued shut even on full throttle. Cutting it off the tip with a Stanley knife or rubbing the tip on something mildly abrasive like wood end grain or OSB helps..

Been through about 150 cans of foam and 3 cans of cleaner this year.. the gun is still going, though it's not quite as good as when it was new..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back