Best way to finish Teak? -- getting the right tone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have some cabinetry and a dining room table which have teak veneers.

Both appear to have a wax finish; as if the wood gets wetted then a wax substance tends peel and ball up into a waxy mess.

However one has a very vibrant Orangey colour, where as the other is a richer red tone.

IMO the richer red finish looks much better and all of the furniture is ageing and could do with refinishing; so I'd like to know how to recreate the red finish and not create the orange one.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Teak is naturally oily which makes an oil finish more sympathetic

You could try scraping them back to the bare surface with a scraper and then lightly sanding before using some teak oil.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies

You could try scraping them back to the bare surface with a scraper and then lightly sanding before using some teak oil.

I am not worried about removing the current finish, the question is really about how I'd recreate the richer tone again?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back