Bi-folding or sliding doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am putting in patio doors in a 3800mm opening and am looking some advise based on experience.

Originally my thought was to put in bi-folding aluminium doors (KAT manufacturer) instead of sliding doors as I like the idea of being able to open them right back. Where as sliding doors will only allow an opening of half the total opening size.

However I have heard from 2 people (a builder and a glazer) that bi-folding doors will “break your heart” as over time the mechanisms wear and start to malfunction. Where as sliding doors have fewer moving parts hence will operate as expected with little to no maintenance.

What’s the experience of folks on this forum? Of course manufacturers vary and I specifically mention KAT as one of the window fitters I spoke with supplies several brands of bi-folds and they said KAT was their high end version.

Thanks for your help.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I personally prefer sliding doors, though the opening in my house is a lot wider. Bifolds take up space when open and there are very few scenarios when you want the whole door open. I'd go for sliders that can open from both ends. You could go for a triple unit that will result in a larger opening.

I personally prefer sliding doors, though the opening in my house is a lot wider. Bifolds take up space when open and there are very few scenarios when you want the whole door open. I'd go for sliders that can open from both ends. You could go for a triple unit that will result in a larger opening.

Cheers, never thought of a triple unit good idea.

However I have heard from 2 people (a builder and a glazer) that bi-folding doors will “break your heart” as over time the mechanisms wear and start to malfunction.

I think thats poor advice.

Ive made timber bifolds for years, Ive never had any call backs due to issues with the mechanisms.

I use top hung systems, they have 2 or 4 bearings in each hub, with 2 side thrust bearings. This is high quality engineering, made to last for many 1,000s of cycles.

So choose your door set based on preference of configuration.

Personally I think bifolds are almost never opened fully in this country, so sliders give you the benefit of taking no room up and have bigger glass

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back