Big Problems!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need your help, I have just built myself a new computer and reinstalled xp, Eveything was running ok for 3 days until yesterday when I booted up the machine and got a blue screen saying something about the BIOS is not ACPI compliant.
So I just reset the machine and went into xp ok but now it keeps crashing.
All the temperatures are ok and I have checked the all the cards are pushed in ok, I just dont know what to do now.
Sometime you can leave the machine on for 8 hours and runs fine but sometimes it will crash after 40 mins.
Just to let you know I have not overclocked it and im not going too..

Here is what I have got in my machine.

AMD AM2 Athlon 64 4200+ Windsor Core
Gigabyte GA M57SLI-S4 NF570 SLI motherboard
2x SLI 512MB Gainward 7900GS Bliss Golden Sample, PCI-E x16
2Gb (2X1Gb) CorsairTwinX XMS2 Pro, DDR2 PC6400
2x 500 Gb Western Digital WD5000YS RE2, SATA300
2x Samsung SH-S183A/BEBN Black SATA 18x18 ±R Dual Layer DVD

Any help would be great, sorry if I have been rambling on.. :) :)

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the BSOD info on the microsoft support site?

Hmmm... not sure if I remember correctly from my 'old trade' (technical support and customer services supervisor for an IT firm) but - I think XP complains if you install it with your BIOS set to support ACPI and then you disable ACPI in your BIOS. It might also be true the other way round also.

You will need to enter your BIOS setup (usually press [delete] or [F1] key during powerup) - if you are not sure then I am sure lots of people besides myself will be able to assist. You'll probably find the relevant settings within and 'advanced' or 'power management' section in your BIOS.

Your motherboard manual will detail what you need to know and if you don't have it to hand then it's also available on the Gigabyte website at

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_List.aspx

Hope this helps as you may well have other problems lurking if it is a new build.

Shenks, I see you are in Lancs, this IT firm wouldnt happen to have closed fairly recently then reopened with almost the same name would it?

Sponsored Links
eggplant said:
Shenks, I see you are in Lancs, this IT firm wouldnt happen to have closed fairly recently then reopened with almost the same name would it?

Hmmm... not too sure about closed and reopened, the sole owner sold up for £30M to an even bigger firm! Also their name has stayed the same. Which firm were you thinking of? Have I given you any clues as to where it was I used to work?

Hi,

not the one I'm thinking of, they "went bust" owed loads of money then reopened ! just before that thoug, they did buy another company with a "small name" that the one?

The firm I worked for was bought by BT and was (and still is) based just outside of Bolton in Westhoughton - dabs.com

Right, not the one I was thinking of, Time who bought tiny, now called timeukl

Heard lots of stories from ex-Time employees, not always nice. Anyway... back on topic...

mark_uk - any news for us??? I think we were the ones rambling and not you (not that I like cagoules and tucking my trousers into my socks!)

if the acpi has been somehow changed even if you change it back windows will still complain

reset bios to deafult and reinstall windows is sometimes the only way to fix it fully

Well I have brought a new power supply 750 watt, took all components out and put them back in and Im still getting the same problems.

Dont know what to do now

mark__uk said:
, Eveything was running ok for 3 days until yesterday when I booted up the machine and got a blue screen saying something about the BIOS is not ACPI compliant.

Post the exact message, including ALL the register information.

Dear Mark,

I have a GA-M57-SLI-S4 and I have been having almost the exact same problems as you. I found your post via a google search. I have an AMD Athlon 64 4800+ Brisbane Core, EVGA 7600GT 256 mb, 2 gb (2x1gb) Muskin EM6400 DDR 2 PC 6400 memory. I have alternately tried running XP and Vista from scratch.

I know the last message on this topic was over a year ago, but if you happen to see this, please let me know if you resolved your problems and how.

THANKS!

breeks

Hi I need your help, I have just built myself a new computer and reinstalled xp, Eveything was running ok for 3 days until yesterday when I booted up the machine and got a blue screen saying something about the BIOS is not ACPI compliant.
So I just reset the machine and went into xp ok but now it keeps crashing.
All the temperatures are ok and I have checked the all the cards are pushed in ok, I just dont know what to do now.
Sometime you can leave the machine on for 8 hours and runs fine but sometimes it will crash after 40 mins.
Just to let you know I have not overclocked it and im not going too..

Here is what I have got in my machine.

AMD AM2 Athlon 64 4200+ Windsor Core
Gigabyte GA M57SLI-S4 NF570 SLI motherboard
2x SLI 512MB Gainward 7900GS Bliss Golden Sample, PCI-E x16
2Gb (2X1Gb) CorsairTwinX XMS2 Pro, DDR2 PC6400
2x 500 Gb Western Digital WD5000YS RE2, SATA300
2x Samsung SH-S183A/BEBN Black SATA 18x18 ±R Dual Layer DVD

Any help would be great, sorry if I have been rambling on.. :) :)

Sponsored Links
Back