Bitumin Paint over re-pointed brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old underground brick building that is about 150 years old, the brickwork above the sloping entrance covering the steps down into the building, was in very poor condition but I repaired the brickwork some years ago and it is now strong.

I was advised that it would be worth painting part of the sloping entrance on the outside with bitumen paint to stop water soaking through that part of the brickwork. I have dug out about 18 inches of the soil around the entrance and I noticed that there are some areas where the pointing was bad but I have now repointed and replaced a couple of broken bricks.

Because we have has a long dry period the bricks are now completely dry and I would like to do the painting before we have a wet period, so the question is how long do I have to wait for the mortar to dry before its OK to overpaint with the bitumen paint. The mortar mix was 5S 1C 1L.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
About a month to let it fully cure. Bond it with some sbr and bitumen till your heart’s content.

About a month to let it fully cure. Bond it with some sbr and bitumen till your heart’s content.
Thanks Johnny, re the SBR, I have already done the pointing (without SBR) do you mean to paint over the surface with SBR prior to the Bitumen? I was just going to paint the bitumen straight over the brickwork.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back