Black gunge on WC & tap outlets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps, i wonder if anyone can tell me if they have ever come across a black snotty gunge on outlets such as cold taps, WCs etc, and more importantly, what causes it?

I have been called out to around 4 jobs over the last 6 months with the owners complaining of this "blackish snot" on the tap outlet etc. They have always been cold mains taps on sinks & WHB's, and B.V on WCS & combi tanks, its also not confined to one geographic area. Ive come across it in Leamington Spa, Solihull, and today in Worcs. To the touch it feels like snot, but with a black/ish colour, generally seems only to affect one house and not a row. Im baffled :?: Any info would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
is it black mildew? Bleach cleaners remove it?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Hi spec, I think that is the most plausible cause, if it was anything organic in the supply the Water auth would have jumped on it. Nice one for your input chaps :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back