Blocked bathroom pipes/sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old house which is full of antique brass sink fittings. A few days ago my kitchen taps became loose and so we took it apart to tighten it all back up. This involved turning the water off at the stopcock. After it was fixed, the next day my bathroom sink upstairs stopped draining. There was no previous warning and the water had all been running fine. I've taken the trap apart under the sink and it's all clear, but the pipe that runs vertically from the sink under the floor seems blocked and won't drain. I've put drain cleaner down it and left it overnight and it did eventually drain away. But this morning I've poured water down it again and it is now blocked. The pipe runs under the floorboards and I really don't want to get them up if I can help it.

Any ideas on what to do. I am a plumbing novice!! Could it be related to fixing the taps downstairs? Or is that just a coincidence?

I'd be really grateful for any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Most likely a complete coincidence, the water supply has no bearing on the waste pipes. Be very careful after putting drain cleaner down the pipes, there is a risk of chemical burns if you come into contact with the drain cleaner. (Gloves and goggles at a minimum!)

A 'snake' such as http://www.screwfix.com/p/plumbing-tools-by-rothenberger-pipe-drain-cleaning-coil/65766 may get through the blockage, otherwise it may be time to call in help. Do you have any idea where the pipe goes to?

Thanks - its helpful to know that it's likely to be a coincidence and I haven't done anything drastic whilst fixing the other taps!

I don't really know where the pipe goes unfortunately. It just goes down into the floorboards! I guess it must go down into the laundry beneath but I think it's all boxed in and not really accessible.

I think I'll go and buy a snake and see if that does the trick. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Bathroom sinks are more prone to bunging up with soap, hair, etc. Snake should get through that sort of stuff, although it may struggle with any tight bends in the pipe. Can sometimes help to try from the other end (if accessible), but if you dont know where it goes then hopefully blockage will be reached from top end.

Please, be careful after putting the chemicals down the pipe. :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back