Blown bricks below damp proof course

• Thread starter Greenbrigade
  • Start date
G

Greenbrigade

We have removed an area of decking that had been bolted to the brickwork of our house. Looking at it the brickwork is not in the best shape. What would you recommend? Will those bricks be easy / sensible to replace or would it be best to repoint / mortar over them?

Attachments

• 78BCDFFF-0EA8-43EE-A8A7-A566B6EA5BAA.jpeg
    78BCDFFF-0EA8-43EE-A8A7-A566B6EA5BAA.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 585
Sponsored Links
Greenbrigade, good evening.

It appears from the image posted, the brick joints, below the ones [I presume] you are concerned about have historically, [obviously] prior to the decking having been installed, been raked out and re-pointed.

if it were me? I would rake out and re-point, as for removal and replacement, a very, very high risk strategy, if it worked historically, and is still holding up?? re-point.

Ken.

Thank you for your reply. What would be the risk in replacing the bricks - presumably that the bricks on top will collapse..? Does the brickwork look in bad condition generally do you think?

As I see it, the "narrow / thin " slips of brick? could start to fall out and cause you issues, especially if the DPC is sited on top of these "slips"

Unless the bricks have perished and are in effect rotten and crumbling on a large scale then leave them in place, from what you posted, the bricks appear to be pretty robust, no indications of "blown" faces on the brick.

As previously posted, Re-Point

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Done properly, there's no risk in removing a few face bricks or a course of brickwork.
In your case OP there's no need to replace or render anything - esp a there appears to be two courses with two lines of holes. Are all the holes from ledger bolts or is one course an injected DPC line?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back