blowtorch randomly goes out!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am using one of these blowtorches to solder copper pipe. Seems to work fine but occasionally goes out just after a spurt of flame (from the nozzle not the can) and sometimes just at the crucial solder melting point!! Anyone had experience of this? Surely I can hold it at an angle or upside down etc ? Dodgy blowtorch?? p.s. the gas can is new and full as is the torch. No smell of gas.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/80471...Hot-Butane-Mixed-Gas/Brass-Torch-Pencil-Flame

Sponsored Links
thanks for recommendation

probably not going to be a huge user though.

I can cope with it occasionally going out but Im terrified my flux will be happily evaporating while I am relighting the torch!

the flux won't evaporate.
propane burns alot hotter and is ideal for larger pipework or tight spaces when you wany a quick job

Sponsored Links
Jbuild

You have answered your own question,

the reason for the flare up and the flame going out is

you are using the blowlamp at an angle and upside down,

when you do this the liquid gas comes out of the nozzle

causing the flame to flare. It will probably say on the instructions

use only in upright position.

When used at angle and upsidedown there is no room in the canister for the liguid to become a gas as this will only take place at what ever is the top of the canister, so hold it upside down and the liquid runs out.

If my Calor gas bottle fell over in my van it would give flames of 20 ft or so untill the liquid had burnt off.

David

thanks for your comment Dave. I thought I was ok with going at angles or upside down with this torch because...

from benzomatic:
"Pipes are often in places that are difficult to reach and most pipe fitting
jobs are done at awkward angles. Therefore, we have designed our entire range of torches so that they do not flare when tilted or inverted"

I beg to differ with benzomatic on this. I think the selfregulating versions probably dont flare out.

benzomatic do mention that propane solders in roughly half the time of mixed propane/butane so thanks for that Seco

now I am wondering if the mixed/gas blowtorch I am discussing is up to the job. I only have 3 joints to solder (one is a 22mm , others are 15mm) and all will be assembled and soldered (solder ring) before attaching to existing pipework with compression joints (which I hate). Looks like it works on the 15mm joints in that I see a neat ring of solder at exit of joints (yet to be attached and tested...sorry will do this later this evening/tomorrow). At least I am unlikely to over heat the joint!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back