Boiler burns when HW/CH controller is set to off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have a Baxi Bermuda 552 back boiler which provides either HW only or HW and CH. I am not overly familiar with how the system works but from what I can work out I have a f/e system and the HW is gravity based. There is a stat on the boiler but I don’t see one on the cylinder. (Is this normal / possible?)

The problem I have is that even though the controller (Drayton LP522 fully digital) is set off for both HW and CH, the boiler will still fire up (assuming the boiler stat is turned above the ‘click’ position). This results in always having HW, the CH side of the controller seems to be fine. I am 90% sure that the controller is faulty as I have acquired a spare (Landis & GYR – Analogue dial and sliders type) which works as expected i.e. boiler only lights when either HW or HW&CH are set to on.

At this point I hear you say ‘well it’s the controller then’. As I say, I’m fairly certain it is but I’m just looking for any additional input before spending another £50.

The system originally had an analogue Poterton timer (almost identical to the spare mentioned above) but the clock became very noisy and then stopped. I replaced it with the Drayton and I’m not sure if that’s when the problem started. I started becoming suspicious when the boiler would light in the middle of the day when the timer was set to be off, then became very suspicious when a big gas bill came in. Anyway….2 questions……

1. Can anyone confirm if this has happened to them (faulty Drayton Digital Controller) or is a likely fault. The strange thing is that the controller appears to work fine i.e. the LED for HW comes on and off and you can also hear the relay clicking.
2. Is the Drayton suitable for the system I have described? Again, I’m fairly certain it is as it uses the same backplate and the wiring diagram on the back is identical. By the way, there are 4 wires connected to the controller.

Any input would be welcome. Sorry for the long post and please ask if I missed anything that is relevant.

KG

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back