boiler making a horrific bang

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I would appreciate a little feedback please if anyone can help me.

I have an Ideal Response boiler. It has had a few problems over the last few days igniting. Sometimes it will, sometimes it wont. We have British Gas Homecare 400 cover and last tues an engineer called and replaced the electrodes. This seemed ok until 30 mins after the engineer left it stopped working. Wouldnt fire up for hot water or heating. Called BG again, another engineer replaced a circuit board. He waited a while for it to heat up and then watched it to make sure it was ok. It was ok until Monday night when my daughter filled the sink with hot water and we heard a huge bang, like the sound of someone throwing a snowball against a window. Didnt connect it to the boiler at all. Tues the boiler was playing up again. Tues night a horrific bang came from the kitchen, like a shot gun bang. British gas were supposed to come out again but I wasnt high priority enough for them to make the appointment. They couldnt tell me if my boiler was ok to use or not to use. I switched it on and after an hour it gave an almighty bang and I switched it off, it will remain off. I dont like to use it not knowing what is causing this bang.

Does anyone know what it could be? BG are not coming out now until next thursday :(

Many thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
:LOL: loads of things, these boilers need to light on 13.5 mlb or they go boom most of the time its down to a sticking meter guvnor call national grid they will be out in 4 hours an change it free of any charge 0800 111 999

ignition electrodes leaking heat exchanger, not enough voltage at the fan.. shall i continue.... :LOL: ;)

The symptoms indicate late ignition and the boiler should not be used until rectified.

:eek:

I guess its sitting round a candle then until BG engineers can sort it :rolleyes: Thanks for your input, much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Apparently the IDEAL Response is having all sorts of problems due to the increased general demand for gas and the mater not being able to deliver. We have been advised check inlet pressure before jumping to other conclusions.

Personally this would be one of the first things I would check. Not sure if this is related but there seems for be a shortage of replacement gas valves for this boiler. I know of one where we are waiting for IDEAL to attend as BG cannot source the valve internally.

Call BG again and tell them you have no heating or hot water and it should speed things up, depending upon where you are in the UK. In London we are seeing most people same day but other parts of the country have work stacked up.

Hope this helps

Apparently the IDEAL Response is having all sorts of problems due to the increased general demand for gas and the mater not being able to deliver. We have been advised check inlet pressure before jumping to other conclusions.

Personally this would be one of the first things I would check. Not sure if this is related but there seems for be a shortage of replacement gas valves for this boiler. I know of one where we are waiting for IDEAL to attend as BG cannot source the valve internally.

Call BG again and tell them you have no heating or hot water and it should speed things up, depending upon where you are in the UK. In London we are seeing most people same day but other parts of the country have work stacked up.

Hope this helps

thanks Mr S, much appreciated.

BG are aware we have no hot water or heating, we had our appointment cancelled by them today as they are very busy and we are not high enough priority :( not sure how my 8 year old will cope with that answer when she asks why the house is cold!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back