Boiler- mind of its own!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a 2 year old house fitted with an ICOS boiler and Honeywell ST6400C progrsammer. During the night the boiler seems to fire up, the display shows demand for heat, even though- according to the programmer it should be switched off. No red lights are on and I am certain that the programmer is correctly set up and that the overide button has not been depressed.
The boiler is in the garage and I understand that the previous owner has said that it comes on occasionaly to stop it from freezing up.
Any view on this matter would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You probably have a frost stat installed.

The boiler does not have a mind of it's own - this is hard to do when the factory that made you pre-lobotomised it prior to delivery.

Thanks for your help and yes you are right, never come across one of these before! Anyway I adjusted it down to 3 degrees and it seems OK now. Thanks again.

You should have a pipe stat in series with the frost stat, so the boiler will only fire when the return water temp drops.

Sponsored Links
You should have a pipe stat in series with the frost stat, so the boiler will only fire when the return water temp drops.

Reminds of a job and the pipe stat was fitted on the gas pipe, been like that for 2 years. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back