Boiler pressure gauge reading the word bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure what they’ve been doing, messing around with the boiler but it’s reading the word bar. Instead of an actual number, the thing is at 6 o’ clock which is outside the numerical bar range.

Does this mean the pressure is too high? Or the pressure gauge isn’t reading pressure at all (shouldn’t it just be 0 then)?

It doesn’t respond to bleeding the radiators (it didn't go back down to numbers)

Sponsored Links
Is this a Vaillant boiler perchance?

Can you show us some pics and tell us the boiler make and model

Reactions: CBW
It’s a logic combi 30. I’m not at the boiler right now but here’s an old photo of it working photo too big and the pressure on bar - recent. The valve was turned like this but made them turn it back up

(water heats up but radiators don’t)

Sponsored Links
Yes, that pressure is far too high. I can't see any information from Ideal/manual so suspect it's the reason why the word bar is there. That needs draining quite a lot, not just bleeding a rad.

On your photo, it looks to me like the pressure gauge might actually be reading zero.

The display may actually be showing the message "Fill System to 1.0 Bar". According the the manual, this is one of the messages you get when the pressure is too low. But I an not an expert, so will need someone else to check this.

I'm confused, though, by who the "they" are you refer to, and why they have been turning the valves? Also, I can't work out from what you have written which position the valves are in now and which position they were in.

This is the low pressure message you get, according to the manual.

1712244868319.png

Last edited:
On your photo, it looks to me like the pressure gauge might actually be reading zero.

The display may actually be showing the message "Fill System to 1.0 Bar". According the the manual, this is one of the messages you get when the pressure is too low. But I an not an expert, so will need someone else to check this.

I'm confused, though, by who the "they" are you refer to, and why they have been turning the valves? Also, I can't work out from what you have written which position the valves are in now and which position they were in.

View attachment 339147
If it was on zero the needle usually drops to where the little stop is inside the gauge

Last edited:
Id it was on zero the needle usually drops to where the little stop is inside the gauge

Thanks. I think I got a bit confused above! I thought the OP was saying there was a message on the LCD display saying "Bar" and I was trying to work out what it might be.

Are you clear which way the valve should be and whether the OP now has it closed? Or has the OP opened it unintentionally? I'm totally confused by who the "they" are and who has turned the valve which way!

1712246761424.png

1712246798531.png

For your info, a Bar is a metric measure of pressure, roughly equal to 15psi, does that help?
It is usual to pressurise heating sytems to around 1-1.5 bar so that the boiler doesn't dry fire and self destrust.
Most, but not all boilers have a low pressure sensor in them which won't allow them to fire if the pressure drops below around 0.5 Bar

Thanks for all the replies! I got someone to check it today an he said the pressure gauge is broken. By they I meant my mum and cousin... The radiator in the living room has been leaking (she was waiting for a repair appointment) for weeks now so she’s been needing to add more water because pressure drops to 0.

I guess they weren’t mindful and filled it up too much. The repair person (don’t know his profession) said the pressure gauge is broken which is why it wasn’t responding to them bleeding out the radiator. Said we need a new gauge.

Also, £300 to come round, bleed the radiator (that we already bled), and tell us we need a new pressure gauge?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks. I think I got a bit confused above! I thought the OP was saying there was a message on the LCD display saying "Bar" and I was trying to work out what it might be.

Are you clear which way the valve should be and whether the OP now has it closed? Or has the OP opened it unintentionally? I'm totally confused by who the "they" are and who has turned the valve which way!

View attachment 339151

View attachment 339152
For the valves, everything should point upwards (I don’t know why.. I just don’t touch them) but the loop thing here should both be closed and only opened to increase pressure. So it should be right. It does this —|—instead of — - —

This is the low pressure message you get, according to the manual.

View attachment 339147
There wasn’t any error code displayed. Just c which is normal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back