Boiler/pump making stange noises??? Please help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help!!!!

Since returning from holiday my hot water system has started to make very strange noises. The pump in the airing cupboard is now making a screeching sound when it is turned on. (I've now bought a new grunfos pump ready to replace it).

Now as the Glow worm fuel saver 55F starts up loud banging noises can be heard around the pipes and the house...after about 30 seconds the boiler makes a shudder and the pilot light goes out. This happens about three times and eventually the pump kicks in and no more banging sounds are heard. The same happens when the central heating is turned on.

Had a look in the loft whilst this process was taking place and noticed some water leaking into the header tank as the pump tried to kick in??

Although my DIY skills are fairly limited an idea of what could be wrong would be great before I call out a proffesional.

Many thanks in advance to all for your help.

PS:.. great web-site!!

Sponsored Links
I'm no plumbing expert, but that sounds pretty much the same problem I had a couple of years ago with my old heating system.

My problem was a duff circulation pump... so get that new pump fitted sharpish, it's probably that.

Thanks Craig, i'll get the pump changed and see what happens.
Many thanks again.
Cheers Huw.

Yep thats your problem mate, pump is goosed which without it causes the water in the system not to circulate therefore leading to the boiler overheating and cutting out the pilot light (safety measure). Water coming out of the exp into the tank is caused by the water in the boiler overheating with nowhere to go (no pump working) so it expands upwards into the tank.
Get the new Grundfos fitted sharpish and prob will be solved. :D

Sponsored Links
Many thanks Robbo, i'm on the case this weekend to fit the new grundfos.

Great turn of phrase by the way 'goosed' ...like it!!

thanks again.

Regards

Huw

is pump clear of air - screeching pumps are often a result of it running dry, getting water in it often cures problem without having to replace.

Thanks Mick....may be a silly question but how can I get water in it??? I've checked for excess air by bleeding the pump and a little trickle of water did come out??

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

you could try emptying some water out and check the f&e tank empties and refills, if it doesnt then youve probably got a blocked cold feed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back