Boiler pump runs but NO demand after new detection electrode

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an Ariston microGENUS HE boiler and last week it kept cutting out. The plumber told us it needed a new detection electrode. He replaced this and then 'serviced' the boiler although this appeared to mean taking a reading from the gas meter and nothing more!

Since he has made this repair, the boiler appears to come on frequently when there is no demand and after there has been demand stays running, in that there is gas coming out of the flue. It won't stop unless I turn the boiler off and on again.

They are coming back tomorrow to take a look but have already suggested it's nothing they've done and we will have to pay another hefty labour bill.

Can someone please advise? Basically, if it needs an additional repair, so be it but surely he should have noticed this at the time?

Also, he left off what he called 'boiler lagging plates' when he finished the repair saying they were unnecessary. I kept them. Is he right?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Sponsored Links
What did he hitch his horse to?
Boiler lagging plates? never heard of them.
Have a look in your manual and check what the yearly service should include. It's a lot more than gas rating, which is probably what he did.
Have you a printout of any test results?

Boiler lagging plates (as he called them) are the bits that go in front of the electrodes and burner.

The boiler was always in comfort mode in the past but this didn't mean the boiler was constantly on. It's the kinds of thing you notice in that when on, it makes a noise...

Sponsored Links
I suppose the makers just fit those parts so someone can simply remove them and charge you for the privilege. Ask for a proper explanation.

there is one button with C an E on it, make sure it is on economy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back