Boiler won't switch off

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi, I have an Ideal Logic 24 boiler governed by a Dayton LP722 programmer. The programmer is selected to "off" for both HW and CH but the boiler HW system continues running. Its a new problem after five years of good operation.

I have reset the boiler, checked the wiring to the programmer, switched off the boiler, removed the cover of the programmer and switched the boiler on again but the problem persists.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dan. Is it located in the boiler or the programmer. Being a "valve" I assume the boiler. How easy a fix is it.

have a look where your HW cylinder is located it is common for the zone valve(s) to be located there you will have either 1 three way valve (Y plan) or 2 x 2 way valves (S plan) once you have found these come back and let us know which system you have and we will tell you how to find out which fault you have , they might not be next to the HW cylinder they might be somewhere else but will probably be next to where your pump is

Sponsored Links
I have an S plan but if the programmer is selected to "off" so no demand for CH or HW how could the zone valve be singling the boiler to run. Are the zone valves not just to direct water to the correct place. My problem is the boiler is running when it shouldn't be.

the way a zone valve works is when you select what zone you want on, power is sent to the motor which opens the valve and when the valve is fully open the motor makes the end switch which then powers on the boiler and the pump so as Dan says either the motor is seized in the open position or the motor is OK and the end switch is jammed in, when the boiler is on but everything switched off feel the pipes at the zone valves and if one is hot then that valve motor is seized if neither are hot then one of the end switches are stuck

Its sorted men!!, thank you. Yes the valve was stuck in the "B" position. Once I moved the black reset lever to the side it popped back into the correct position and the problem is solved.

Should I replace the motor on the valve now or do these problems tend to be just one offs.

you have cheap ****ty valves then if it has a black plastic leaver, if it keeps sticking you can replace the actuator (the white box on top of the valve) this contains the motor and the end switch and can be replaced without draining the system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back