Booster pump or mains pressure tank.

For what it's worth. My bath and wash basins are supplied from a vented hot water cylinder with the cold water storage tank ( cistern ) 6 foot above tap level. The cylinder is heated by a coil supplied from the non pressurised heat only boiler. Shower hot water is mains pressure water heated by passing through a second coil in the top of the hot water cylinder.

Works well.

Sponsored Links
I've just had a pressure bomb unvented cylinder fitted. No mention of a yearly service. Is that right - they must be 'serviced' every year? What does that involve and how much is that likely to cost?
Yes, if you want to maintain your 25 year warranty and ensure the safety devices are operating correctly, you need to get it serviced annually. Cost should be around 60+vat, parts extra. If you get it done at the same time as your boiler you might get a discount

D-commissioning a bathroom won't achieve anything for the showers in the other two, I have never noticed a problem with simultaneous showers, two are original and have separate hot/cold feeds from the tank, the other is fed from a combination bath/shower tap.

Three bathrooms - why not, we have five bedrooms. Two are ensuites and I thought that in this modern age we all showered every day - try that with one bathroom and 10 people in the house. Never been more than 3 Yorkshiremen in the house to my knowledge, my son was born in Derbyshire and my brother-in-law in County Durham.

The tank in the loft is already raised and would probably only go up another foot which would have little effect (IIRC 1bar is about 30ft of water height), it is also over a meter in diameter and there is an enormous structure supporting it - full it probably weighs a ton or more. Taking it out would simplify the loft insulation and I could also move the heating header tank out of the way.

My preference is to change the tank but wanting to check other options, will get a couple of quotes and see which way we go.
It sounds like an unvented cylinder would be a great option for you - ignore the luddites and scaremongerers on here, they're perfectly safe if installed and maintained correctly

I totally agree with Muggles,unfortunately a vocal minority on these forums seem to always try and hammer their views home
When and exactly where did a.pressure bomb go off exactly ?
The potential is there but every single Safety device would have to stop working or be sabotaged to cause a situation .This is the reason why regulations and training is put into place
There was a time everyone use to wallow in their own dirty bath water ,more and more people are now using showers and adding on noisy pumps and trying to make an archaic system work to modern standards is at best a bit adhoc
Yes as a professional I have a unvented cylinder in my own home along with more then one bathroom wether we chose to use it or not ,because I can.
Ensuites and personal hygiene are of paramount importance to ones health ,well being and appearance .Perfume was invented because people stank and wouldn't bathe as we do today,I don't we want to go back to those times

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'd fit an extra bathroom in my garden shed.... Just to annoy Roger. But in all seriousness, if you have the pressure and flow required then an unvented cylinder is a superb way to go and very safe indeed

For what it's worth. My bath and wash basins are supplied from a vented hot water cylinder with the cold water storage tank ( cistern ) 6 foot above tap level. The cylinder is heated by a coil supplied from the non pressurised heat only boiler. Shower hot water is mains pressure water heated by passing through a second coil in the top of the hot water cylinder.

Works well.
So you have built yourself a thermal store...

Yes, if you want to maintain your 25 year warranty and ensure the safety devices are operating correctly, you need to get it serviced annually. Cost should be around 60+vat, parts extra. If you get it done at the same time as your boiler you might get a discount

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back