'Borrowed' earth for lighting circuit

Or a single insulated and sheathed to use for the CPC.
If one assumes (as I think nearly all of us do] that that reg is meant to be talking about 'multi-core cables', that would make no difference, would it?
I realise DIYers won't have this either so - get some.
Does anyone, DIYer or otherwise, have any insulated and sheathed single G/Y?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If single core insulated and sheathed is alright for live conductors, why not CPCs?

It doesn't have to be green and yellow; just identified.

Sponsored Links
Do the regs say the CPC has to be insulated?
My first reaction was to say that I couldn't think of any reg which said so (and I'm still inclined to think that) - but I'm not sure about this - in particular, what (iv) means ...
BS7671 said:
543.2.1 A protective conductor may consist of one or more of the following:
(i) A single-core cable
(ii) A conductor in a cable
(iii) An insulated or bare conductor in a common enclosure with insulated live conductors
(iv) A fixed bare or insulated conductor
(v) A metal covering, for example, the sheath, screen or armouring of a cable
(vi) A metal conduit, metallic cable management system or other enclosure or electrically continuous support
system for conductors
(vii) an extraneous-conductive-part complying with Regulation 543.2.6.

Kind Regards, John

I think IV (and III) couldn't be clearer - a CPC can be insulated or bare (not insulated).

I think IV (and III) couldn't be clearer - a CPC can be insulated or bare (not insulated).
Hmmmm ....

(iii) relates only to CPCs "in a common enclosure with insulated live conductors" - so is not applicable to 'standalone CPC cables' such as wer are discussing.
As for (iv), I was questioning what "fixed" means. Are you suggesting that it would apply to a bare 4mm CPC lying on the 'floor' of a roofspace to provide a CPC for a light fitting that didn't have one?

Kind Regards, John

I can think of a developement of low rise flats [oops sorry the tenants insist they are appartments] THE earth for all 9 flats in each block is a bare bussbar in a riser.
Even now the links between lighning protection and electrical main earth are regularly bare stranded copper.

It's fixed at each end isn't it ? ... But yes, it's a good question.
That was my point. "Fixed at both ends" is obviously intended as a fairly sarcastic suggestion - but what sort of "fixed" do they have in mind (e.g. per the example I suggested), I wonder ??

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back