Box sinkers!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all!

I'm a bit of a part time sparky and have been offered a rewire of a 3 bedroom semi, and have taken up the offer!

Few questions - anyone got any recomendations for a box sinker? I usually use the hand method, but as i may have a fair few boxes to up from single to double i thought a box sinker would be a good idea!

Anyone got any tips for lifting sections of big sheet T&G flooring? I was thinking of using a circular saw and cutting sections out so i can have rod access.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Unless the blocks are very lightweight and soft you are better off in my experience using a hammer and chisel - you'll probably be using one to tidy up anything that a box sinker does anyway!.

Fein multimaster or the Bosch MFT180 as a DIY equivalent nowhere near as good but much cheaper and better value as part time sparkie.

I find that the best box sinker is a young 17yr old lad with bags of stamina :D

Sponsored Links
The problem is that most seem to have the ability to create big gaping holes :rolleyes:
A scutch chisel is a useful addition to a bolster.

I find the best thing to use when sinking back-boxes is my Makita SDS drill with roto-stop. It turns a pita job into a breeze. Still usually have to use a hammer + chisel to finish it off though.

Thankfully I don't get many guvvies where they want the socket flush. ;)

I use a Hilti box cutter and swear by it. (Oh bugger)
Its fine on Breeze block but would be blunt in no time on hard brick, so once it goes through the plaster and marks the brick I change to a wide chisel (2") and my DeWalt hammer drill on rotary stop.
I often get such a neat hole that there is no replastering, but it is down to technique.

Box sinkers are good on 3.5 newton blocks, they struggle with most brick.

36V Boschhammer, + Armeg SDS scutch chisel, works like a charm.

Best to stitch-drill the socket with depth-stop too.

Anyone got any tips for lifting sections of big sheet T&G flooring? I was thinking of using a circular saw and cutting sections out so i can have rod access.

Chris

If you need sizeable access it's quick to cut a trap between 2 joists. If it's in a place where it will squeak afterwards pull a couple of 2x2 dwangs up under the open ends with a few long screws and screw down all round.

Evening all!

I'm a bit of a part time sparky and have been offered a rewire of a 3 bedroom semi, and have taken up the offer!

I know quite a few part time sparkys, best known as Roy Rogers. I hope they're not related to you

If you need sizeable access it's quick to cut a trap between 2 joists. If it's in a place where it will squeak afterwards pull a couple of 2x2 dwangs up under the open ends with a few long screws and screw down all round.
Or if you just want to get your arm down there are those Armeg circular cutters and plugs....

Or if you just want to get your arm down there are those Armeg circular cutters and plugs....

If your arms are like pipe cleaners...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back