Boxing in a lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At some point in the future we will be removing our conservatory and having an extension, we will then open up a large piece of cavity wall to link into the extension.

In the short term I have created a small opening (width of a door) in the cavity wall so we can get into the conservatory rather than using the existing doorway (long story).

I can use plasterboard and dry wall adhesive to cover the cavity, but what do I do about the lintel. Can I put a big blob of dry wall adhesive on the lintel and push plasterboard up onto it?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
You will have to support the plaster board, cut the board so it fits into the opening (Put this up first as the two pieces either side should be put on after.) Leave enough width on the board so you can trim off excess when side cheeks are fitted. Get two pieces of 2"x1" so they both fit either side of the cavity to support the above P/board .You can make a couple of wooden wedges to knock in the ends of the 2x1s to hold the head up tight (make sure you put the 2x1s edge side up), . You may need someone to hold the head up while you prop it up with the 2x1s. So put your dabs of adhesive on your board so they are either side of the cavity you don't want them to meet and bridge the cavity. Level the head up as you set the 2x1s into place (across and along the length of the board), Let the adhesive go off then take down your 2x1 battens and sort the side cheeks out. You may also need to put angle beads around the edges of the boards so you can bring the edges and head in line with you existing wall/walls. Hope you understand this as it is a bit long winded but just ask if not sure..I thought that you were putting two lintols in either side of the cavity, but still same principle...

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your reply, I understand what you mean. I'll get on with it today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back