Breaking slates with a proper roof ladder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Couple of years ago I had to have a lead Valley replaced. I number the slates and managed to reuse 95% of what I had to take off so it worked out well. Plumber did the lead I did the slating.

Problem I had is where the ladder was sitting on its support feet a few slates were broken. So I had to carefully replace them at the end of the job my moving the ladder to the side and hoping I didn't break them. Luckily I got away with it.

The ladder I have is a LYTE trade roof ladder. I have since covered the feet in pipe insulation to try and help.

I now dread using it because I might damage the roof when I'm up doing some other job.

The roof is a Welsh slate roof nearly 90 years old.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Valleys in slated roofs are often difficult to work on.
Cushioning the roof ladder stiles with even more cushioning might help.
You can also re-adjust the hooks.
But there's always the danger of making the roof ladder unstable?

Your access ladder should be tied in, and the roof ladder secured to the access ladder.
If you are going high then forget about it, & employ a roofer.

We customise and sometimes build roof ladders on the spot but its not a practice for DIY'ers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back