Brown tips on my Aspidistra

Sponsored Links
What I know about gardening you could fit onto one of those brown tips but, this site mentions a few reasons.

This one suggests, too much fluoride (from tap water), will cause it.

Other sites mention too much water (especially in winter), or insufficient humidity!

It could also be the wind, we seem to have had a lot of it again lately. (if it is outside that is!)

As TexMex says, I was told this can be caused by insufficient humidity. You can mist water over the plant daily and put a container of water near your heating so it evaporates. Other than that, I cut them off!

Amanda

Sponsored Links
It sounds very much like 'sun scorching' to me.

Remember these plants like to be in the cool shade, never in full or half sun. In Victorian and Edwardian times these were kept in a dark (ish) parlour with thick curtains and so rarely saw any full sun.

My old Granmother had a beautiful specimen that she kept in her dark cool front room and it thrived for years. She NEVER repotted it and only fed it once a week from the spring to autumn with cold tea and about once every three months she bathed the leaves with cotton wool dipped in milk.

I have a much smaller specimin that I treat in the same way and it's doing very well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back