Building a large fruit cage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The west end of our paddock has a long, 8' fence. We have several fruit trees and bushes there and being rural, birds are a real issue - cherries or redcurrants or raspberries get eaten immediately - so much so I switched to golden raspberries which they ignore!

I tried netting individual trees but it is a nightmare so I am strongly considering building a fruit cage - basically a large chicken run - as a lean-to against the fence. My thoughts are to use 2x2 treated timber and 13mm chicken wire so it isn't super flimsy.

The ground is fairly flat but certainly not absolutely level (as the fencer found when building that fence) so I'm just after any thoughts on materials/construction/whatever. Build it to the space in-place? Build it totally square in pre-fabricated sections and figure out the ground levelling around it? What materials will last to reduce maintenance, etc.

I built a chicken run from 2x1" about 2.5 years ago and it's survived but that was only 2x2m this would be more like 10x5m or so.

NyyVB8_MPAWhVK0RbJw8tyoyy3gm-NZmYSqYjeLeyrq_s5O1KLHKlgpqQAks4AeqhZbo-f81NihOjZ0zAuB8iJB7lz4kRLpC8J5yw9wULYIJGU61gkofy7aEWEew2qtgzn8AMGPeEA=w1280-h605-no

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just my opinion but...

could you not use scaffolding or them poles/fittings you see on public railings with the allen key grub screws? it will be a lot stronger and faster to construct, and if galvanised should last! The ground level would not be a problem as you could sink poles into the ground to what ever deapth you require and cut them to length to suit. Also may be less noticable to the eye if you're clever about it. the 2x2 will soon see the effects of weather. sagging, cracking, rotting etc. youll need a lot of bracing and noggins and up rights to get the rigidity you need. Also i would opt material netting over chicken wire if its just for birds as

The netting is a lot cheaper but I've found it a pain in the backside before... every single leaf or twig gets tangled in it :) You can actually just see an early version stringing that over some posts in my photo. It sagged and I spent about an hour trying to delicately remove it from my cherry tree without ripping off all the buds!

Of course on a proper frame... one benefit of wire is it adds a lot of rigidity but I could build a frame and use fabric, and upgrade later.

Interesting thought on metal. I bought that sought of thing for a small project recently (https://www.metalsupermarkets.co.uk/metals/galvanised-clamp/) but my initial thoughts were it would be very pricey and risked being a little industrial/steampunk. Maybe I'll price it up to see.

i find facebook market place often has old scaffolding pipes ect going dirt cheap. also maybe worth ringing a few local firms to see if they have any old gear you could have cheap as i'd imagine the life span for site work is a lot shorter than you or i would accept.

Sponsored Links
Right now I imagine might be a lot sitting unused too. Thanks for the idea.

I am I am a big fan of keyclamp. (The railing system) if you use old scaff poles it will rust over time cosmetically and still be strong enough. Ordinary builders scaff will be 2"/48mm and the joints a bit more expensive v smaller tube that you might need to buy new.
Even if you built a main frame out of scaff you could simply fit smaller wooden frames with cable ties

Scaff is a bit OTT for a fruit cage, a bit of plastic pipe would do it, with all the numerous joints and elbows freely available, plenty of diy cages to gawp at on the web.

I wonder about using curved plastic pipe as a frame, in the same way you might construct a polytunnel...

Keyclamp is just another brand name for the stuff I posted a link above right... seems to be a standardised system? I quite liked it. That said scaffold fittings (from a quick google) seem a lot cheaper but then they are quite different. And yeah over-spec... we used 42mm for something recently and probably shouldv'e gone for the next one down.

What sort of plastic pipe, in terms of getting fittings? I've not come across a plastic alternative to the clamp system so far?

I think curved might work but I'd rather make a 'room' I reckon, i.e. a box, just to fit the space.

Thinking about it, a few years ago we bought a few cheap Amazon gazebos, just for the frames.
Also Aldi/Lidl?

My own experience is if you pick the fruit when it's ripe you don't really lose much to the birds, I've never used cages or netting and there's always more fruit than I can be bothered picking.

Somewhere I work has them, they get damaged by the snow in winter, damaged by falling branches, covered in leaves, birds get caught and die- either in the netting, or find their way into the cage and can't escape. Grass and foliage grows up through the netting, and maintenance on the fruit bushes is slower/more work.

10x5 is pretty big for plastic isn’t it? Plus I aren’t sure if the height required but looking at the picture it needs to be a good bit taller than the 8ft fence. So not sure scaff (or similar) is over spec.

Not uv stable out
My own experience is if you pick the fruit when it's ripe you don't really lose much to the birds, I've never used cages or netting and there's always more fruit than I can be bothered picking.
You must have some well trained birds , they start on our fruit as soon as the colour starts to turn which well before its ripe enough for us to eat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back