Building a rustic pergola ...

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pagodas are very expensive to buy, so thought I'll make my own. Not looking to win design awards, just something to cover a cheap inflatable hot tub!

Was thinking of building it using 4 3mx100mm fence posts supported in those drive-in post supports, and some suitable treated timber to run between front and back, then more across the top.

A bit like this:

5f860c76e415d4489321408ed9156f6b.jpg

Any suggestions on where to order the wood if I decide to get some of the nicer cut pieces? Would be nice to have the fancy cut pieces, but I might just built with 4x2s if that works out loads cheaper! Will probably put something on the top it to help stop stuff falling into the hottub, not sure what yet though.

Sponsored Links
I built a pergola to support some vines as a lean too.

2 x 100mm posts in the ground and a beam on the wall.
two beams either side of the posts, plus maybe 10 running from house to cross beams

All the timber came from a garden supplier who did fencing/decking etc.
I used a simple circular saw to cut the ends but you could do squiggly bits with a jig saw.

Sponsored Links
Just remembered at the weekend than I have a pile of roof tiles .... what is the minimum angle for these sort of roof tiles?

IMG_20200208_150836676.jpg

I never know the difference.

Thick wooden sticks with a roof.

Googled it - yeah, pagoda's are those massive things aren't they !

NOT
5a0d2c44a31061a720dc2c1a.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back