Cable detectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post here...

We've just moved into a new home (first time buyers) and there is quite a bit of DIY to do. I'm not really experienced in DIY having lived my whole life up till now in rented acommodation so I'd appreciate any help!

I need to do some drilling into a some walls in the lounge for shelves/blinds and have invested in a live cable/pipe/metal stud detector, but have just been reading some reviews of the model from various sites which have all been fairly less than favourable. My worry is of catching a live wire with a drill and meeting the big man upstairs a litttle to early.

I spent about £16 on the unit (from wickes) and thought that as it came from a well known chain it would be a decent unit but I'm a little worried about using it - I havent tested out the unit yet but wanted some advise first.

I guess a bit of common sense goes with it in terms of where cables would be running, but the previous owner had some fairly novel ways of wiring up the kitchen so I'm not taking any chances...

I need to test it out first but I'm already having doubts about this model - I guess it's worth spending alot more on a decent model to be sure?

Here is the unit:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wire-And-Pipe-Detector/invt/710290

Any advice?

ta.

Sponsored Links
new build should follow part p or 17th edition etc for cable runs so in theory
straight up/down for the run
It's only in the old that you may find a diagonal run across a wall lol
So give one a go.

and on a plus now if you drill through it just make sure the drill is insulated and you'll get a flash bang and probably a WTF moment :LOL: Then trying to fix it but generally no harm ?????????????

So give one a go.

and on a plus now if you drill through it just make sure the drill is insulated and you'll get a flash bang and probably a WTF moment :LOL: Then trying to fix it but generally no harm ?????????????

Cheers - when you say insulated, what do you mean? (excuse my ignorance!) Bit more info for where the shelves are going - right next to the cupboard under the stairs next to the fuse box..ps house was built 1975 and I believe it's the original wiring. (old fuse wire box - no breakers)

So give one a go.

I thought you can now run cable horizontally, if it is "protected" by cladding(?). i'm not a sparks, but have come across a few such installations, normally where I'm connectin a fire to a fused spur

Sponsored Links
Hey toph,
Well done in getting 'your' first home.

There are a few things you should do first.

1. Get boiler serviced and checked. While the RGI (registered gas installer) is on site ask him to locate your internal stopcock and check that it is working.

2. Get an electrician to fit you a new fuse box, up to current regulations.

Once you have done the above you will feel a lot safer know that if there is a problem , you can turn off the water and turn off any electrical circuits safely, and if you do drill through a cable, you will at least be protected.

Andy

Hey toph,
Well done in getting 'your' first home.

There are a few things you should do first.

1. Get boiler serviced and checked. While the RGI (registered gas installer) is on site ask him to locate your internal stopcock and check that it is working.

2. Get an electrician to fit you a new fuse box, up to current regulations.

Once you have done the above you will feel a lot safer know that if there is a problem , you can turn off the water and turn off any electrical circuits safely, and if you do drill through a cable, you will at least be protected.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your very handy tips...Boiler insoection will be soon and we definately need to get our stopcock looked at - looks like if it was turned it would crumble away and the previous owners weren't on a water meter so there is no way to turn off the water from outside if anything went wrong. We're having the meter installed...

We had a sparky friend come over and check over the sockets and get rid of any dangerous looking wiring which was great - he recommended a full rewire if funds were up to it but alot of things have burnt through our piggy bank...

I have a question though - the wiring in the kitchen is pretty questionable and say if we wanted to get a new kitchen fitted and all the witing re-done, would a sparks be able to do just the kitchen and fusebox or would he have to do the whole house to get it all up to the new 17th edition?

He also said there was no insulation (is it bonding?) running from the fuse box to the pipes so he advised buying a handful of rcd sockets (which we have done) for now but he said this was very easy to fix..

Final question - if I'm drilling through a wall with an rcd plugged in then Im as protected as well as can be in terms of electrical harm?

If you drill through with a modern drill, you obviously won't be touching the moving parts, and your appliance will be double insulated Class II. Which is indicated with this
20px-Double_insulation_symbol.svg.png
symbol. Your chances of getting electrocuted are slim, if you operate correctly. Although safety google and work boots with rubber soles recommended. You are more likely to go oh ****, when it happens and then have some work to do. Don't drill where there are sockets.

When you get a detector device you should always practice with it in a safe way. You already have exposed cables in your house, like on kettles,drills etc.. So see how it works on these. Then cover them with plaster board etc. to a depth. Build up some knowledge about the instrument before going further.

To investigate start from a likely power outlet or source.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back