cam belt change peugeot 306 Xsi 97 R

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I don't know if you can advise. I have just been charged £430 inc. VAT for a cam-belt change.
The parts charged were as below but i am wondering if any of these parts are included in the first item (the kit), and/or if it is likely they would need to be changed? I actually saw the 'pully' and it did look worn. Also, are these prices realistic?
Thanks
Alex

Cam Belt kit - £77.71
Pulley - £71.11
Pully bolt - £2.18
Timing gear - £16.39
Lower Cover - £11.33
Upper cover - £30.32
Auxillary belt - £13.41

Sponsored Links
me too,id expect to see the cam belt kit on the list and thats about it,maybe a water pump which many people decide to do while its all apart,the other items listed are not usually in the kit,it looks as if its the aux belt pulley that was changed from your list

the crank pulley and timing gear sprocket are quite common to have to change on these. the woodruf key slot wears, usually due to the crank bolt not being torqued up correctly. would have thought they should have asked your permission to change these.

changing the covers seems a bit odd. possibly broken?

hope they tensioned the new belt properly. this engine has a very fine tolerance of overtensioning. when (if) the belt breaks it usually causes hairline cracks in the pistons.

btw the price doesn't seem too far out the ballpark.

Sponsored Links
Prices seem ok, but I'd be asking why they've decided to fit two new covers at least, unless they decided to be lazy, lever them off and thought you'd pay....which you did :?:

I have just been charged £430 inc. VAT for a cam-belt change.

Sounds alot to me.

When I had a cambelt changed on my '98 clio it was only £60 (although Renault wanted £300 + VAT). I also had a cambelt & pulley/tensioner changed on a MK4 Golf and that was £200.

Back