Can I remove the wall thermostat from the heating system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm new here but haven't found this topic yet on previous posts>

The house we have recently moved into has a Potterton 24 Combi boiler with built in temparature controls (for water and rads) and timer for radiators, but there is also older looking Honeywell thermostat on the wall which never seems to affect very much.

Can I remove the external thermostat and leave the combi-boiler fully operational?

The Honeywell has a broken dial so isn't adjustable and just creates more clutter on our walls. I'd like to get rid of it the boiler can do the same functions, which I think it can.

If so, is there a way we can just remove the external thermostat, and terminate the wires in a way that will leave the boiler working? Or will we need to remove the all wiring from the Thermostat back to the socket where the boiler is also connected?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
With the wall thermostat turned right down the central heating shouldn't come on.

Possibly the thermostat is faulty or it isn't even connected!!!

The boiler thermostat will control the temperature of the water being circulated round the system.
The room thermostat will control the ambient temperature of the room.

You need both for the system to keep your house comfortable.

You could possibly fit a wireless stat.

Thanks.

We'd rather not have the thermostat as it just seems unnecessary for our small flat, the boiler seems to work well enough to create 'comfortable' atmosphere without us using the thermostat.

Is there a way we can disconnect it and leave the boiler working?

Sponsored Links
current building regulations require a room thermostat to turn off the boiler to prevent the boiler cycling when operating on the thermostatic radiator valves alone.

The radiator in the space with the room stat should not have thermostatic rad valve.

Alternative control measures to prevent boiler cycling can be used, but they're usually unnecessarily complex and expensive for domestic use.

just replace the stat thats there with another honeywell, they are less than £20 why are you trying to over complicate things & yes the building regs req a room stat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back