Can plastic cause loss of pressure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was in someone's house today and they mentioned that their boiler/ch system (combi boiler) loses pressure occasionally ~once a month or so and needs re-pressurising via the filling loop. The said they had had several folk out to look at their (crappy looking, Alpha? boiler) and the most recent, a BG guy (alarm bells ringing!) told them it was due to them having plastic pipes for their CH (looked like a DIY job). Can simply having plastic pipes cause an intermittent loss of pressure?

I've got a CORGI friend, gonna ask him when I see him next but thought i'd garner your opinions . . .

(i'd have thought it would have to be a problem with the boiler, or a leak but if a leak then it wouldn't be intermittent . . .)

<edit> oops just read the faq alpha boilers not that bad it seems

Sponsored Links
Pipes being plastic can't cause a loss of pressure.

Non-barrier plastic can allow oxygen to leach into the closed system.

Oxygenated water can deplete the effect of a chemical inhibitor.

Unprotected systems can corrode.

Corrosion produces Hydrogen, which compresses and thus lowers the system pressure.

Or there's a leak.

Thanks for that

So adding inhibitor might work as a temporary fix but ultimately the whole thing will need re-piped assuming it's non-barrier pipe?

I recall seeing plastic pipe with 'Not for CH' or something printed on it (not in this house but i've seen it) i assume this is the non-barrier pipe that you're talking about?

Would all non-barrier pipe have this or is there another way to find out or standard markings on the pipe? (assuming I can find a long enough length of it to check)

thanks again

Sponsored Links
Fair enough . . . don't think there's a leak at any of the rads, it's been going on so long that someone would have noticed, don't know how many engineers have been out but i would have thought they'd have checked for signs of a leak at the boiler. Could be a leak under the floor but not significant or the downstairs neighbours would have been up complaining.

Is non-barrier plastic usually marked as such?

alphas are bad for leaking, particularly around the diverter section.

have the rads been physically checked? i dont mean looking at the floor for pools of water either. each connection actually felt for any signs of water when they are cold, amazing how many times a customer will swear there are no leaks but you then find several by checking properly.

So adding inhibitor might work as a temporary fix but ultimately the whole thing will need re-piped assuming it's non-barrier pipe?
If re-piping is too much upheaval and/or too expensive, then you could just re-dose when the concentration of inhibitor drops to below a declared level. You can but concentration testing kits.

I recall seeing plastic pipe with 'Not for CH' or something printed on it (not in this house but i've seen it) i assume this is the non-barrier pipe that you're talking about?

Would all non-barrier pipe have this or is there another way to find out or standard markings on the pipe? (assuming I can find a long enough length of it to check)
Er, can't remember what's on the outside of all the different brands, but barrier pipe has a clearly-seen barrier layer when you look at the cut end of the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back