Can you plumb a WC into a vent pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm new to this site so please be gentle! Got a utility room and down stairs toilet to install and was seeing if I could plumb into the vent pipe running down to side off the building? The man hole cover is on the other side of the wall but would be a lot quicker and easier to connect into vent pipe. Have looked at Doc H but can not found anything regarding plumbing into vent pipe? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is the vent pipe of which you speak a 4"/110mm soil stack?

If so, then what is the distance from the ground to the point at which you intend to join it, and what is the distance from there to the top of the pipe?

Hello Softus, the vent pipe is 110mm and goes above the roof, I intend to connect at the ground level about 500mm above the ground.

From the connection to the top of the vent would be about 3.5/4m?

Hello Softus, the vent pipe is 110mm and goes above the roof...
That's OK then. In principle.

I intend to connect at the ground level about 500mm above the ground.
AFAIK you'll conform with the Building Regulations with not much room to spare then; I seem to recall that the minimum distance to the bottom bend (which is, of course, slightly below ground level), is 450mm.

From the connection to the top of the vent would be about 3.5/4m?
That part is fine.

Sponsored Links
All this still applies to a vent stack? There are no pipes branching of this vent pipe it just comes out of the ground and up above the roof. If so, I do appreciated your help Softus!

Regards

Lee

But you're about to turn what you call a vent into what I'd call a soil stack.

Two things for you to consider:

1. What is the connection from this 'vent' into the underground system? It needs to be of appropriate construction to become a soil pipe.

2. The work that you're proposing is notifiable to your LABC under the provisions of The Building Regulations.

You need to ensure that the bend underground is a rest bend (slow bend) otherwise you will get blockages. :(

Many thanks Softus and bahco!

Would not do it any other way, I'll always get building control approval!

Just wanted to check if it was possible but will have to do a bit of digging to find out!

Once again, thanks for the advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back