cannot get to tap washer - any help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a leaking mixer tap. I've isolated the leak to the hot tap but cannot get to the tap body & washer to replace it.

I've tried with all the force I have to pop the top part off where the "H" is but to no success. I'm not sure if that's the way that this tap works as it's not a "standard" tap. I have noticed that the turning part of the hot tap is looser than the cold and wobbles.

It's a rented place so I want to change the washer without destroying the tap! Can anyone offer any tips how I can get the tap off?

Thanks

Nick

View media item 45807 [/img]

Sponsored Links
I would say that the screw is under the disc on top where the H is.

Use some rag or tissue under a pair of grips or pliers and unscrew it.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the quick replies.

Tried all I can with the cap and it doesn't budge.

The stalk does go into the handle - my next step is to try to undo it without damaging the finish of the tap.

Tried a monkey wrench with a duster between the teeth so it wouldn't scratch and either the duster just span round, or the stalk didn't move and I made a couple of small scratches on the finish.

Any tips on loosening/undoing without ruining the finish? Would a spot of WD40 help loosen it up?

Thanks

What will happen if you turn the tap and cause a major leak under the sink and then cause a lot of water damage? What are you going to tell your landlord?

IT'S NOT YOUR PROBLEM! CALL YOUR LANDLORD!!!

Even the tenants are now taking our work.

Andy

There is definelty a brass screw under the cap which may just pop off with the aid of a pocket knife blade. You then have to unscrew the chrome shroud to reveal the ceramic valve head which you use a spanner to remove. Obvs isolate first.

Pete

You'll find here's no washer to change.

Get your landlord's plumber out to replace it. Or work out the make & model and try manufacturer's spares for new valve. If you are the tenant I'd do former.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back