Can't take out deadlatch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a problem with a door hatch/knob. Basically, even when I turn it fully up the door still opens very easily i.e. a wind or even just people opening other doors is usually enough to open it. I have to wedge my door so it doesn't open!

This first happened a while back after I oiled the door lock mechanism but I've put up with it because I couldn't work out how to take of the lock mechanism.

I've read up a but but nothing has been particularly helpful. Most treat taking off the 'knobs' as the hard part. But this was very easy since it just screwed on and the screwed weren't even covered. But the trouble is, I can't take off the dead latch. Everything seems to say it should just come out once unscrewed but I can't get it out. I tried using a small screwdriver to wedge it out but this just resulted in a nasty scratch on my behalf. I've also tried using pliers to help pull it out but doesn't seem to work either. As mentioned, I've unscrewed the deadlatch. But there seems to be some sort of small pin things. I've tried to wedge these out but they're so tight against the surface I don't think I can. Is there something I'm missing?

I've taken som photos of the door knob etc. They're not the best and I can probably do better if necessary (taken with a phone but I have access to a digicam)
Picture0072.jpg
Picture0073resize.jpg
(this is of a different door but they're all the same)

Alternatively, does anyone know what's likely to be wrong with my door lock mechanism? Would it be possible to fix it without removing the deadlatch? I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the strikeplate (which can easily be removed)

Cheers and thanks for any help

P.S. This is the second time I've tried to remove the deadlatch. The first time was way back when it started acting up.
P.P.S. As you may have notice, the knobs are keyless/can't lock

Sponsored Links
Usual method:

Take off the door handles from both sides.

Tap the square spindle in the direction of the door edge, using a small
hammer. It will push the cylinder latch outwards.

The latch case is probably jammed in the door and tapping on the spindle
will push it out.

By the time the spindle has reached the edge of the hole on each side, the
faceplate of the latch should be standing proud of the door edge. Then
withdraw the spindle and you should be able to lever it out some more.

You can't take the latch out while the handles and spindle are in place.

How far have you got so far?

The bits you think are pins are the where the case of the latch is
fastened to the faceplate. You can't take them out and don't want to.

2 likely problems:

1. The latch isn't fully engaging with the strike plate - ie it's not going fully into the hole. Close the door and shine a torch down the gap - can you see if the latch is going fully into the strike. If not, adjust the strike (up/down/back/forward) until it does.

2. The gap between the door and frame is excessive, and there is an insufficient amount of the latch going into the strike. Try padding out the hinges to bring the door nearer the frame.

I'd investigate the above before removing the latch.

I think John's got it - the poster still has the handles connected.

Sponsored Links
The second photo is of a different door, and the oroginal post states the "knobs" - even though they are handles, have been removed. Could be that he's left in the spindle though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back