Can't turn off hot water fully

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to fit a new tap to an existing downstairs basin, so I turned on the hot tap and went upstairs to the hot water tank to see which pipe was hot and turn off the water (there is a variety of stopcocks by the tank). No matter what I did a considerable trickle of hot water still came out of the downstairs tap though none came out of the tap in the upstairs basin. Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You should be cutting off the cold feed to the hot water cylinder. Look at the bottom, and work your way up.

NotBovvered said:
You should be cutting off the cold feed to the hot water cylinder. Look at the bottom, and work your way up.
thats a waste of water !! (assuming the gate valve works)

there will be a gate valve to close off the cold water feed to the hot water cylinder. (some new homes have lots of these valves but should be labelled.)
some times the valves dont close fully due to lime scale etc....some times opening another tap will take away the dribble to that tap if its a easier route.
has the hot pipe that feeds the tap got an isolator ?
if all above fails then you "could" turn the cold feed to the cws and drain it by running the hot water till it runs out (but try above first)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back