carpet underlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The carpet stretchs more as there is more movement of the carpet. resulting in it losing its tension which results in extra wear. Any contract underlay is firm. Cloud 9 also do a contract underlay for heavy wear area which is more dense and thinner.

Sorry to revive this old thread. I am doing some research on underlay for my bedroom.

Does your comment apply only to stairs or to rooms as well? Im thinking of going with the 11mm thick Treadaire Dreamwalk or Cloud9.

Sponsored Links
11mm is to thick. Will make carpet distort and also lift the edges of the gripper. You want no thicker than 9mm.

I recently bought and fitted some Cloud9 Currus 9mm underlay. I can safely say it's sodding fantastic! Firm enough so you don't feel like your walking on marshmallow yet soft enough to be nice to walk on. Made a huge difference to warmth of bedrooms.

£40 per 15sq/m roll off ebay.

I recently bought and fitted some Cloud9 Currus 9mm underlay. I can safely say it's sodding fantastic! Firm enough so you don't feel like your walking on marshmallow yet soft enough to be nice to walk on. Made a huge difference to warmth of bedrooms.

£40 per 15sq/m roll off ebay.

I dont know - I think I would like the idea of walking on a marshmallow :D

The warmth (tog) factor is very important to me though, especially in this age where heating costs are so high.

I can either go for the cirrus or a conventional rubber underlay, which has some serious weight to it (34kg for a 7.5sqm roll). Right now, my room sounds very echoey and I think a heavy underlay with a thick carpet would help in those respects. The Cloud9 series of underlay are very light.

Sponsored Links
The cloud nine underlays have won best underlay of the year now for a few years running!!!! Cirrus 9mm. Cant go wrong with that one. Soft but still has support. Unless you want heavy rubber 2mm thick that has had hot air pumped in while making it to make bubbles, which make it look 10mm thick but really its 2mm thick? Also the tog rating is high on cloud 9. Hence your not ment to use it over certain underfloor heating systems as it insulates to well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back