Cat flap through a brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. First off, apologies. I have searched the forums and I know that this a well worn topic. I've read all the threads, but I have some questions that they don't answer. To start with, here's what I'm trying to do ...

I need to fit a cat flap. I initially planned to put it through our upvc rear door, but this has a raised square 'embossed' pattern on it. I'd have to cut through this, and have been told by numerous windows / door ppl that I would not be able to weather proof it afterwards. I cannot afford to replace the panel in the door, so I am now considering going through the wall. I am fortunate in that we have a small extension at the back of the house that contains a 2nd toilet, and the wall is only single brick thickness. I decided that putting a hole through that would be the simpler, and cheaper option. What I am not clear on is how to attach the flap to the wall. I have read in a number of threads that ppl construct a tunnel using plywood.

Assuming that I have made the hole in the wall, would I then make the tunnel, and screw the flap to the plywood ?

Presumably I should weatherproof the wood somehow - whats the best way to do that ?

Should I line the hole with some damp course ?

Apologies, I know these are begineer questions really. I really don't what to fork out for someone else to do this, it's a simple task I know I could do for myself. I just need some tips ;) Any advice, pics etc would be very much appreciated.

Matt.

Sponsored Links
I've just read that I might be able to use foam filler to 'pack out' the door instead. Below is a picture of the door

The black square is (roughly) the hole required for the tunnel. The red square is the outline of the cat flap frame, so I'd have to remove the raised parts as shown by the blue boxes. Could I fill them with foam filler, trim it off and let it set, then attach and silicone seal the flap ?

It will be a nightmare fitting the catflap to your door.
The best option, as you have said, is through the single brick wall.
Make your hole, screw the catflap to the brickwork, it will be made to do this, some catflaps come with their own tunnel.

Yeah, having given the door another look the raised pattern is deeper than the frame of the flap, so it'd be messy. Not to say difficult to cut. My next door neighbour has just told me that the extension is not particularly well bedded either, and removing bricks may be problematic :( I've just moved into this house, so the extension was not my doing ...

Yet another option is to remove the upvc panel and replace it with suitable ply, painted etc. Not sure how that would look though.

Sponsored Links
Guess you saw my thread, with my very similar crappy PVC door.

In the end I decided to build a "moggy kennel", basically a box built out of 18mm WBP with a trespa top.

Have put the catflap that i didnt end up using on this.

At least they have somewhere to go if its weeing it down now.

You could put flap thru door panel in centre , does not need to be low down as cats are very agile, there is'nt a window in my house the cat can't climb to if she is seperated from her food.

For some time i've been searching online for detailed info of how to put a Cat Flap through a wall and couldn't really find enough info on it, so eventually had to figure out the finer details myself..... I finally got round to it about 6 weeks ago. About a week ago I was asked by a friend if i could detail how i did it. So i put a guide together with photo's and email it on... then i got thinking it might be useful if i could put it online so it might help others who were thinking of doing the same thing. Hope this helps :)

So i had a go at my first blog, here it is:

http://fittingacatorsmalldogflapthroughawall.blogspot.com

For some time i've been searching online for detailed info of how to put a Cat Flap through a wall and couldn't really find enough info on it, so eventually had to figure out the finer details myself..... I finally got round to it about 6 weeks ago. About a week ago I was asked by a friend if i could detail how i did it. So i put a guide together with photo's and email it on... then i got thinking it might be useful if i could put it online so it might help others who were thinking of doing the same thing. Hope this helps :)

So i had a go at my first blog, here it is:

http://fittingacatorsmalldogflapthroughawall.blogspot.com
That's brilliant! I like the cat stairway :D
thanks for the post.

Wotan

I used a similar method 11 years ago when we had the conservatory built - I made a box tunnel out of sterling board, and fixed a good quality, lockable catflap to it, then got the builders to fit the brickwork around the tunnel, sealed and fixed in place with silicone sealant, and it still works fine.

On the other hand, I had to call out Anglian several times to fix defects, and now the conservatory is out of warranty, there are several things that need attention.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back