Cavitation / Over running pump in Open Vented System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have open vented central heating system for my 3 bed house. The boiler is in the kitchen, hot water cylinder , pump & 3 way valve in airing cupboard upstairs, and feed & expansion tank in the loft.

I have recently replaced the microbore with 15mm copper pipe to all the rads (there is a feed to all rad inlets and return circuit from rad outlets). The system has been filled and bled of air throughout and works (to a degree).

When the pump starts it sounds as if it is drawing all the water from the over flow pipe (to the expansion tank) and drawing a lot of air into the system. It then either runs OK for a while and then the pump seems to "over run" and not push water round or over run straight away. I still have to do the test with a jar of water over the end of the over flow pipe to confirm if it is drawing the water down when it the pump starts. The pump has 3 settings and it is on the slowest (750 rpm) setting.

This issue was partially there before I changed the pipework but now seems to be worse. I thought it was due to pressure loss / inability of the pump to push water round the whole system due to the microbore pipes.

I have read that that this may be due to too low static pressure for the pump, incorrect placement of pump, or there being a need for a non return valve on the return to the boiler.

Appreciate thoughts / comments from the forum.

Sponsored Links
I dont think you should be adding non return valves!

Without seeing a layout of your system its difficult for me to guess whats wrong but obviously there is a design flaw.

The critical distance is that between the vent and feed pipes.

Tony

Thanks Tony ..

Do you have any information on what the distance should be between the vent and feed pipes or where I could get this from?

Sponsored Links
Vent and feed pipes should be as close together as possible and never more than 150 mm apart along a horizontal pipe!!!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back