CCU with BS 3036 re-wireable fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

My mother called me round to check the electricity as the whole house was dead.

I checked the CCU and i nearly had a heart attack.... inside was black and bare copper showing from 1 of the cables. (CCT = Upstairs Socket) A standard incoming domestic supply of 230v, 100A; insalled with BS 3036 semi-enclosed re-wireable fuses and MCB's Type D.The Socket Circuit was installed with a BS3036 20A fuse. The CCU was installed by the local council ''DIY scrappers'' in 2003.

Am i missing something? design error? ?

Can they do this? dangerous?

How did it pass the inspection+testing? a blind man?

all views welcome DONT flame me.

Carlos

Sponsored Links
Carloss, please clarify...

BS3036 relates to Semi-Enclosed Rewirable Fuse

Circuit Breaker is an electro mechanical and magnetic device for thermal and overload protection of electrical circuits.

There is no such thing as a BS3036 Circuit Breaker.

Please clear this up or there is limited advice that can be given.

Sorry BS3036 Semi-Enclosed Rewirable Fuse

I were thinking of something else at the time.

Carlos

Carloss said:
Sorry BS3036 Semi-Enclosed Rewirable Fuse with Type D MCB's on some other cct's.

Sorry I were thinking of something else at the time.

Carlos

Sponsored Links
you mean the fusewire made a black mark when the fuse wire melted?

Obviously, However about 2" of the sheath on the cable had melted.
And the service fuse had blown.

Also there was NO earthing upstairs. all the earth core on the 2.5mm2 had been cut back.

the service fuse blew (100a) and the 3036 blew.....

and melted some of the cable, where? as it entered the 3036 holder?

how big was the fuse and what size cable run from it.

more importantly why did it blow?

don't sound like its been rewired to me, the council might be crap but they arnt THAT bad, sure they dident just add something here or there? :rolleyes:

I would certainly agree with supersparks. That does not sound very good at all. To me that installation is an accident waiting to happen.

There certainly does not appear to have been any rewire carried out in that building within the last decade at least. I have seen many "council" jobs, but I have never seen BS3036's installed in at least 15 years in council properties for starters.

Carloss, call out the council, tell then there has been the smell of burning and that a Fuse has blown and taken out the Main Fuse, tell them your Electriciyt Compnay have recommended a rewire as the Installation is dangerous.

If your Mum is retired, get Social Services involved.

SecureSpark,

Yes; it melted as it entered the 3036 holder. Cable used was 2.5mm2 Flat Twin & Earth PVC insulated & PVC Sheathed.

FWL Engineer,

I decided to look into it further; it seems that the upstairs ring main had a spur leading off back downstairs into the utility room. I done a visual inspection of all the terminations and i came across a 5A choc block completely melted running a tumble drier rated 13A. However this choc block was resting on some water pipe work.

The council have been called out, Expected wed pm.

There are young children here so it would be interesting to see what Social Services have to say...

Carlos

its supersparks, im not securespark :confused:

also, social services.... they are going to take the kids away because the council did a botch job :eek: thats basicly all they will do :rolleyes:

Very sorry, i read your name wrong.

or hopefully they will give a new house?

Carloss said:
Very sorry, i read your name wrong.

or hopefully they will give a new house?

theyll fix the problem. if it was their fault. it might have been some bodges DIY

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back