ceiling fan and gas.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a mate has had the gas fitter round to look his gas fire,the fitter has seen a ceiling fan in the room and told my mate he has to have his fire isolated,or (this is the part i can't understand)have an isolation switch fitted to the fan?
i can't think why an isolation switch would make it safer.
he has put on the certificate that my mate would has been advised of these two options.
i asked another gas fitter i know and he said load of b******s,there is a test but if the fan is far enough away there is no problem.
so i thought i would get more opinions.

Sponsored Links
Basically when the fire is tested for spillage the ceiling fan has to be turned on and operated in both directions.

If it does indeed affect the performance of the spillage test then the fire or the fan should have been disconnected.

You have to do the same thing with any fan used for extraction such as cooker hoods, Radon extract, Tumble driers.....

thanks pannierstan, so should the fitter have done this test when he saw the fan, and any idea why an isolation switch should be fitted to fan (seperate from on/off switch)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back