Ceiling light flickering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Our landing ceiling light started to flicker last week. I initially changed the bulb, but that made no difference.

A couple of days ago I changed the whole pendant light fitting with a brand new one, but the problem still persists.

Finally, today I fitted new light switches and that made no difference either.

It doesn't flicker constantly when the light is on, and the flicker is quite a low level one (it's more a brief slight dimming which occurs quickly for brief period). But it's still a concern.

No other lights are affected and I can't see anything obvious that's causing it.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Check the wiring in the attic for signs of rodent damage?

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere, which can be difficult to find on your own, without tracing the wiring. I would be tempted, as a first step, to have someone watch the light carefully, with it on - and you go around other switches in the area tapping them, to see if you can provoke the light flicker to react.

Sponsored Links
I had this with mothers house, and it was one wire in a ceiling rose where the screw had missed the wire during the rewire, clearly you have changed that lamp, but could be the lamp or ceiling rose it is fed from. Power off and go around giving wires a gentle tug. See if any loose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back