cellar/basement conversion - wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we are converting our cellar room which was built when the house was built but never finished as a proper room. The house is concrete and the cellar walls are concrete bricks and floor is bare concrete. We have one small window. We are going to tongue and groove the walls but we dont know what kind of insulation would be suitable behind the wood panelling. We are putting in a floating floor then laying a laminate floor on top with a thin layer of insulation underneath? We think the window will provide enough ventilation but do we need to waterproof the walls? some advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

K

Sponsored Links
How much of a damp problem is there throughout the seasons? are you really in Switzerland? I have no idea what Regulations etc you need to comply with over there.

Yeah I really am but sometimes doing projects like this are a little tricky when you have to buy all the stuff in German and youve got your irish uncle doing the conversion! Sounds like a joke doesnt it. Are house is extremely dry the only thing is the washer and dryer are in the room we wanna make into an office but I had the idea to hide them behind built in louver doors? The room was built to be coverted later so meets all the regs.

Thanks for the reply though. K

A washer/dryer must be vented direct to the to the outside unless it is of the condenser type (rather than a vented machine) even then the room should be well vented. They can go in a cupboard if you like though bearing mind the aforementioned.

So assuming the walls are watertight you would be looking for something like 90mm Celotex between timber studs or whatever the equivalent is out there, that would be around enough to get you through the regs here but have no idea about there. Floor wise you should be using something similar unless you don't mind cold feet

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back