Cellar steps Internet equipment shelf / storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Going down the steps into our cellar is quite a large space which currently isn't used much in any shape or form. There is a standard ceiling rose and on the left hand side is the soil stack, handrail and a few ethernet patch cables running upstairs and on the right hand side is a gas pipe going to the gas fire in the back room and some central heating pipes running upstairs.

Both walls are solid stone, lime plastered which is generally sound but in places hollow sounding when tapped and/or a bit bulgy. Directly looking forwards this wall is also solid stone however below this is plasterboard from where the under stairs room (old pantry) was presumably extended a bit.

I'm after basically fitting a large shelf which I can put all of my Internet equipment on - I can have a coaxial cable going to the cable modem, a router, VoIP box etc. on this and then ethernet cabling going to various parts of the house - all directly in the middle of the house.

How would I go about doing this? would it just be a case of three battens secured with wall plugs? I've got a thick old shelf made of plywood that could go on top and then drill holes/fit some boxes for the cables to go all nice and tidy.

I'd need to have the router temporarily set up in this area to check WiFi signals were strong enough before doing this otherwise it might be a tad pointless.

Also, I've sometimes seen people have ladders, tools and suchlike fixed to the walls in these kinds of areas, has anyone else on the forum done this and do they have any pictures and/or advice as to how to make best use of this space?

Attached a couple of pictures.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Sponsored Links
Waste of time putting wifi in cellar needs to be as high as possible for good signal.
You could just batten each side and shelve, little weight in IT equipment.
If you want to hang ladder just put a big hook in ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back