Central heating airlock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an open vent central heating system, which I drained and refilled in order to replace two TRV s on ground floor radiators. Prior to replacing the valves, it was not possible turn on the central heating independant of the hot water coming on and when I checked the two port motorised valve for the central heating, the lever for manually opening the valve was not functioning. However as the heating and hot water came on, I did nothing about it. Now, however, the radiators are not heating and the boiler cuts out. The pump seems to be working and all the rads are filled. Have I created an air lock below the dodgy motorised valve when refilling the system? Can any kind soul help?

Sponsored Links
I have an open vent central heating system, which I drained and refilled in order to replace two TRV s on ground floor radiators. Prior to replacing the valves, it was not possible turn on the central heating independant of the hot water coming on and when I checked the two port motorised valve for the central heating, the lever for manually opening the valve was not functioning. However as the heating and hot water came on, I did nothing about it. Now, however, the radiators are not heating and the boiler cuts out. The pump seems to be working and all the rads are filled. Have I created an air lock below the dodgy motorised valve when refilling the system? Can any kind soul help?

have you got two two port valves (motorised)
is their a manual air vent or auto air vent between pump and valves
is the motorised valve you are talking about in open position-to check turn off electrics-remove head and with a spanner turn valve head -just a few degrees-see if this helps
have you checked your feed and expansion tank(loft)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Clearhead for your response.
There are two Honeywell motorised valves, one for CH and other for HW, but no manual or automatic air vent between the pump and the motorised valves. I think the valves are opening because there is no problem with hot water and now the upstairs radiators have heated up. So I have closed all the upstairs radiators and opened two rads on the ground floor. They are beginning to heat up but very slowly. These radiators are warm at the top, but quite cool at the bottom. I thought it would have been the other way round. The header tank is ok. The boiler is a Potterton Profile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back