central heating at 3.5bar

z33

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently experienced a problem with my gas combi boiler that I was hoping someone could help me with. The boiler was installed new this summer and has been running fine, gauge normally shows about 1 bar cold, up to 2 bar when CH is running.

A plumber has just installed some new radiators and afterwards I've found that the CH gauge is showing 3.5bar (steady) and there is water leaking from within the boiler casing (it's wall mounted). I've only looked at the gauge when the CH was running so don't know what the cold pressure is.

Plumber returned to finish the job and was a bit panicky when he saw system at 3.5 bar. I've just consulted the manual and it states that the system max working pressure is 2.65 bar and that there is a non adjustable relief valve set at 3 bar. Plumber has also stated that there was water coming out of the external overflow pipe. He's now vented the system back down to it's normal 1 bar cold level.

Is the most likely explanation that the system has simply been left open to mains pressure (I believe it is about 3.5 bar) or is there some other way this could have occurred? The pressurisation hose from the mains was still in place but I didn't think to look at whether the isolation valves were open or closed. Will this have damaged the boiler, is it likely that the leak will continue even at the lower (normal) operating pressure?

Sponsored Links
Always disconnect the filling loop to be sure. The boiler shouldn't have been damaged although your pressure relief should have activated at 3 bar. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back