Central Heating recommendations wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently bought our house and have a bit of money set aside to make improvements to the central heating. I have an idea of what I'm after but I thought I'd see if anyone could offer some tips/advice on what would be most effective?

It's a 4 bed detached over two floors, 2 adults 2 children, two showers running off the mains, one (stupidly large) bath. 1920s, stone/brick walls, insulation in the roof, but otherwise a fairly old cold house to heat. Multifuel stove in the living room. 4kW Solar PV system on the roof.

Oil fired central heating via a combi boiler, a variety of different rads, single zone, thermostat is currently in a stupid location. A few rads are blocked somewhere so that needs fixed. The combi is a 35kW Rhino, only 4 years old, but I'm a bit suspicious. I get the impression the previous owner cut corners (based on a few other jobs done in the last 5 years). The installation looks untidy, and there's clearly been a leak at some point, when you take the cover off you can see a layer of (dried) rust at the bottom of the boiler.

I don't really understand how it's currently setup. I had a plumber out for an emergency a few months ago, he seemed a bit confused by it. Forgive my lack of understanding here, but he said something about the boiler being gravity fed from a tank in the attic, so it isn't a pressurised system (I had attempted to increase the pressure as I am used to with other combis but that wasn't achieving anything here).

I had a go at a BTU calculator online, total demand for the house came out at 48,000.

--

Things I want to do:

Zoning the system - upstairs (bedrooms) and downstairs. Separate thermostats and programmers for each, preferably wireless thermostats.

Adding a hot water cylinder, was thinking 250L.

Replacing/unblocking a few rads.

What I'm not sure about:

- Whether I should keep the existing combi for the rads only or replace.

- Whether I should make changes to the current setup (bit above about it being gravity fed).

- Whether it's worth putting a cylinder in with an immersion heater specifically the solar PV. I've read a few posts on here that sounds like it's not worth it for solar PV (extra £s for the cylinder, about £500 for an immersun or similar device, not very environmentally friendly). I might consider solar thermal in the future though, if that was worth it?

More ambitious plans:

- We've got enough room for an external biomass boiler. RHI is still pretty good for these and there's a £10k interest free loan available in Scotland to go towards the install. If I go with that, I'd still want the new cylinder, but obviously the oil combi can go.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back