Central Heating System Help Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Members

I have recently bought my first home a three bed room terrace house, but facing some problems and quite confused and worried. Will appreciate if you put me into right directions.

The central heating system is quite old, Vaillant boiler about 10 years old, piping is 7 mm feeding the radiotors and under the floor is alomost 7mm or some places might be 15 mm, 8 radiators in the house and are one of the old type not the convector radiators, radiators are like big solid pipes.

I have turned on the boiler couple of times, provide me the warm water but not too warm may be boiler needs resetting, boiler warms up the two radiators little bit and thats all.

I have called in about six gas engineer/plumbers/people who fix the central heating systems. They all have given me different advise, which has confused me what to do.
Two of them said just change the boiler and rest leave it as it is it will be all right, two said replace every thing new boiler, piping and radiators, and two said dont replace any thing just have a power flush which will clean up the pipes and radiators and they said your boiler is running fine and goes upto 80 degree hot.

Most of them advise me 7mm pipes are not a problem its just they take some time to heat the radiators.

Now I am confused and worried what to do.
My situation is like have two young children (3 and 2), and its quite cold now a days, I dont want to go into any hassels.

Could you please advise me as I am fairly new person does not know a lot about central heating systems.

Thank you in advance

Regards

Sponsored Links
Call a reputable engineer in. What else can be said. There is no magic cure that you can try, available over a web forum

It sounds as if the boiler already has problems as it is not heating
the hot water correctly. This should be fixable. Either way it should heat
the radiator up to full temperature.

A mains flush should clear the piping out. But it may work when the boiler is working correctly.

The radiators sound old and these do not heat rooms particularly well.

It's a case of do you want a modern heating system that works and heats water and house quickly. Or some old piece of junk that works but doesn't do it particularly well.

£2500 to £3000 pounds should get you a new boiler, radiators and pipework. The boiler will also have 5 year guarantee so no worries on repairs in the near future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back