CH/DHW not very hot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Alpha 240e combi isnt producing very hot water or getting the rads very hot either? Recently had the whole system powerflushed and descaled and it was all working lovely. But last few weeks its just not been very warm indoors even with the heating on full for a good few hours and despite the mild temps? Normally we'd be sweltering with the heating on full for that long?

Not sure if this is accurate or not but it does look like the boiler doesnt burn very well. If you turn the DHW on it fires up with big bright blue flames but then seems to back off in ferocity, same with CH? Looking at the flames its like you've turned the gas down on a gas cooker?

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Are the rads getting hot to the touch ? What temp is the boiler stat and room stat set at ? Remember cold water is coming in at 4 degrees (here in the north east) so you will probably have to slow the taps down a bit to get hotter water.

Hi
Rads are no where near as hot as they were a few weeks back. Back then you couldn't keep your hands on them for a efw seconds, now you could just leave them on there and not get anywhere near burnt?
We always have to slow teh water down in winter when running a bath but never this much. It has to be a real trickle and then you can get it too hot to get into but only just.

Whats the heating temperature set to, at the boiler ?

Sponsored Links
With the heating turned off and the far left pipe under the boiler cool, turn on a hot tap and see if you can feel this pipe getting hot ?

Its warm at present as the heatings been on. Will check later when its cooled down.
Thanks for the replies. :)

With the heating turned off and the far left pipe under the boiler cool, turn on a hot tap and see if you can feel this pipe getting hot ?

Yes, it gets hot pretty instantly.

Diverter valves probably knackered, you'll need to get it looked at if you can't do it yourself.

Diverter valves probably knackered, you'll need to get it looked at if you can't do it yourself.

Been living with this until spring was here but do need to look at it now. I've just been given a fully working Alpha 240e boiler! Its been removed from a property which is being developed. As it was running quietly and producing good heat and hot water I'l just swap the boilers over I think. However I wont have time to do this for a couple of weeks and I need to find out what the extra wires are for? I presume for a remote timer?

Any way, in the mean time is there an easy way I can just shut down the CH so the boiler can only run DHW?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back